Host a Gathering with Darrow
What is a Gathering?
Hello, I’m Darrow Miller.
These last few years, I’ve sought to spend time with what I call “Gatherings.” A Gathering is a group of 15-20 young people in their twenties and early thirties who have realized the importance of worldview in their lives and culture, and they want to go deeper in these ideas.
The last few years I’ve had the privilege of being part of gatherings in Morocco, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Mexico, and the United States. We spend a week together in a comfortable informal setting talking through the issues of Biblical worldview and their implication for our lives today. Here is a blog I wrote that explains the significance of these gatherings titled Intellectual Hospitality: Growth Spaces Instead Of Safe Spaces.
If you know other young people with who are reading our books, watching our videos, and you want to spend more time with me, I’d love to hear from you and see if we can set up a time to “gather” for a week.
For more details check out the video above and the information below. I look forward to hearing from you.
Criteria for Hosting a Gathering
- Convinced the DNA messages are significant and desires to learn more
- Able to recruit and bring together a ‘Gathering’ group
- 15-20 persons
- Between 18-30 years of age
- Ideally occupationally diverse (young pastors and professionals)
- Women and/or men
- Convinced the DNA worldview messages are significant and desire to go deeper
- Aspiring leaders in the community and nation
- English-speaking (unless the gathering will have translators)
- Willing to invest in preparation and in the time to be together
- Attend a DNA training conference OR complete the Coram Deo Basics Course.
- Read Discipling Nations and one other book by Darrow: LifeWork, Emancipating the World, Nurturing the Nations, or Rethinking Social Justice.
- Apply the information in some way and be able to report on it.
Request a Gathering with Darrow
There are several steps to take before hosting a Gathering. First, fill out the request form below. Then the DNA team will be in touch with further information.
Intimate setting – We want to create a comfortable and intimate setting. The following are illustrative and may be approximated in whatever the cultural context.
- Away from busyness of life, “away from media, stores, businesses,” etc…
- A home or place conducive to a small group retreat. It could be in a quiet place, in “nature” – in the mountains or at the ocean or on a lake – where people would be free to walk or hike.
- House that has warmth and charm where people feel comfortable and at home
- Quiet, music – could be indigenous or classical
- A “fire place” or equivalent where appropriate
- The way meals are shared, all sitting around a table, using nice plates/silverware etc… and flowers!
- Serving one another
- Participating in preparation, cleaning, etc…
Yes! Sharing meals together is essential.
- Healthy, tasty food, “home cooked”
- Beautiful table and presentation of food
- Variety of foods
- No-hurry meals — time to talk
- Comfortable yet productive schedule
- Built-in rest/walking time
- “Relax/sight-seeing day”
- Time for informal discussion
What others are saying about Gatherings
“I can tell you there is life before and life after listening to this message about worldview. But what really thrilled me this week was meeting this group. You know, it’s one thing to have this vision and it is another thing to be able to share it. Unfortunately, I still don’t have people who have that same vision at my church or closer in my city. It was an answer from God that we all came together. This is what will remain for me, i.e., to be able to count on these new friends I’ve made and to invite more people … and then ‘infect’ them”
Paulinho, 17 years-old
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
At first, I couldn’t find a direct relationship between the transformation of Brazil and my mission as a Christian. It was shortly before opting for the law school that I found out that all professions are holy and can be used for the expansion of the Kingdom of God. This understanding brought me hope that I might be able to contribute to the growth and transformation of Brazil as a lawyer who battles for the causes of the Kingdom. This week was a milestone for me…
Flávia Rayssa Said, 26 years-old